Emergency services open in Weyauwega, New London
Severe storms have caused widespread power outages that could last several days, according to the Waupaca County Emergency Management Office.
American Red Cross has dispatched a mobile feeding vehicle to the Weyauwega area.
Red Cross has also established a shelter at Parkview Elementary School, 1300 Werner-Allen Road in New London. The shelter will remain open until the event is concluded.
Services offered include a place to sleep, food to eat, and cellphone recharging.
For questions call 920-973-3713 or visit www.redcross.org.
Waupaca County Public Health advices the following:
Keep Foods Safe
· Prevent food spoilage by keeping the freezer or refrigerator door closed.
· If the door remains closed a full freezer will keep food cold for 48 hours, and24 hours if it is half-full.
· If the door remains closed a refrigerator will keep food cold for 4 hours.
· When power comes back on, put a thermometer inside the refrigerator. If it reads higher than 40 degrees Fahrenheit, throw out all perishable foods, such as milk, eggs and meat. If you do not have a thermometer, toss out all foods in question.
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
· Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air-intake of your house because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Never use a charcoal or gas grill inside-the fumes are deadly.
Chain Saw Safety
· Wear snug fitting protective equipment: goggles, face and head mask, gloves and boots.
· Don’t over-reach or cut above shoulder height.
· Don’t operate a chain saw in a tree or from a ladder.
· Do not operate a chain saw when tired, if you have been drinking alcohol or taking prescription drugs.
· Don’t smoke while refueling your chain saw.
For more safety information during a power outage visit Waupaca County’s website at www.co.waupaca.wi.us/ or call Waupaca County Public Health at 715-258-6300.