Fire destroys Farmington duplex
A fire that started on the deck became a blaze that destroyed a duplex Wednesday afternoon.
When Waupaca firefighters were called out to N2732-34 Duvenick Lane in Farmington shortly before 2 p.m., they found flames had spread from the deck up the exterior walls to the eaves and into the attic.
The fire spread rapidly because it burned through the propane-tank hose for a grill on the deck, causing flames to shoot up to the attic.
Waupaca called for assistance when the fire started venting through the roof at 2:09 p.m.
Firefighters were initially unable to get to the fire from inside the house. With help from Amherst equipment, they doused the flames from the outside, then entered the building to pull out the ceiling to attack the flames in the attic.
Severe fire damage was reported in the attic, along with heavy smoke and water damage throughout the house.
In addition to Amherst, Weyauwega and Almond fire departments sent men and equipment.
The American Red Cross also responded to assist the residents who were displaced by the fire.