Home » Courts » More charges against OWI homicide suspect

More charges against OWI homicide suspect

Mugshot of Allen Guse shortly after the March 2015 fatal crash
Mugshot of Allen Guse shortly after the March 2015 fatal crash

A man facing OWI homicide charges is now charged with bail jumping after he tested positive for alcohol.

Allen D. Guse, 42, Marion , was charged on March 17, 2015, with homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle and with hit and run causing death.

Investigators said Guse was eastbound on State 22/54 in Royalton shortly after 2 a.m. March 14, 2015, when his pickup truck crossed the centerline and collided with a minivan driven by Matthew J. Egerer, 35, Weyauwega.

Egerer was pronounced dead at the scene and the driver of the pickup had left the scene, police said.

Police later found Guse on foot on Tower Road north of Royalton Road in Waupaca.

Guse was released from custody when he posted a $50,000 cash bond one day after he was charged. As a condition of his release, he was prohibited from consuming alcohol and ordered to comply with the Soberlink program.

Soberlink is a digital breathalyzer that allows law enforcement to monitor people for alcohol consumption. If a defendant who is out on bond or probation tests positive or fails to comply, authorities are notified through email alerts.

At 10:20 p.m. Saturday, July 23 of this year, Guse called Waupaca County Corrections Sgt. Susan Lytie and said he had received alerts to retest on his Soberlink.

According to the criminal complaint, when Lytie looked at her emails, she found that Guse blew a .048 blood-alcohol level at 10:03 a.m. Three more tests over the next hour indicated positive for alcohol.

Initially, Guse denied drinking, then later admitted to drinking beer, the complaint says.

Lytie informed Guse that he needed to report to jail for booking on a charge of felony bail jumping.

On Monday, July 25, Assistant District Attorney Veronica Isherwood requested Judge Vicki Clussman to set a $25,000 cash bond as a condition of Guse’s release from custody.

Guse’s attorney, Dennis Melowski, asked Clussman to either cover the new case with the $50,000 cash bond Guse already posted or that he be released on a signature bond.

Clussman ordered a $5,000 cash bond and Guse was released that same day.

When Isherwood was asked why the homicide case has taken more than a year to resolve, she said they are still waiting for the Wisconsin State Patrol’s reconstruction of the March 2015 crash scene.

“I do not have the report yet. It has been promised over and over,” Isherwood said. “The trooper finished it in late June and it is now out for peer review.”

Isherwood noted that the same state trooper responsible for the reconstruction has also been called to many area crime scenes since then, including the Matthew Pagel homicide in Clintonville and the home explosion in Farmington on July 22. She said the state patrol apparently has an increased crime-scene workload but not an increase in staff.

“I feel so sorry for the victims in this case but it is completely out of my hands right now,” Isherwood said.

Scroll to Top