Football camp for Comets
Waupaca’s season opens Aug. 17
By Greg Seubert
The Friday night lights won’t be turned on for another two months, but preparations are already underway for Waupaca High School’s 2018 football season.
More than 50 players showed up June 25 for the start of the team’s annual week-long football camp at Comet Field.
The first practice is scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 1, and the Comets will open the season Friday, Aug. 17, at home with a Bay Conference matchup against Menasha.
The Comets also have home games scheduled against New London, Seymour and West De Pere.
Tom Noltner returns for his third season as the team’s coach. Besides Menasha, Waupaca’s other Bay Conference opponents are Shawano, New London, Green Bay West, Green Bay East, Seymour, West De Pere and Xavier.
The Comets posted a 3-6 record last season and remained in contention for a spot in the WIAA playoffs until the final week of the regular season.
Waupaca Comets 2018 Football Schedule
• Wednesday, Aug. 1 – First day of practice.
• Friday, Aug. 10 – Scrimmage vs. Wrightstown, Omro and Ripon at Wrightstown, 4 p.m.
• Friday, Aug. 17 – vs. Menasha, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Aug. 24 – at Shawano, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Aug. 31 – vs. New London, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 7 – at Green Bay West, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 14 – at Freedom, 7 p.m. (NC)
• Friday, Sept. 21 – at Green Bay East, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 28 – vs. Seymour, 7 p.m. (Homecoming)
• Friday, Oct. 5 – vs. West De Pere, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 12 – at Xavier, 7 p.m.