Fire in Clintonville
Tenants evacuated from apartment building
Clintonville police received a call shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 14, from a resident at 20 Wilson St. that the smoke detector was going off and they could smell smoke inside of their apartment.
While officers were enroute, the Clintonville Fire Department was dispatched to the address as well.
Police arrived on the scene, located the apartment where smoke was originating, entered into the apartment and located a man asleep inside of the apartment.
Officers assisted the man out of his apartment as they noticed a fire in the kitchen.
With the help of a citizen, officers evacuated other apartments in the building.
Clintonville firefighters arrived and contained the fire to a single occupied apartment.
They remained at the scene for several hours to ensure the fire did not spread outside of the apartment and to conduct a investigation.
The Clintonville School District provided temporary shelter and transportation for tenants from the 24-unit apartment complex.
The American Red Cross was contacted and went to the Clintonville School District to assist the residents who were affected by the fire.
Eight units will not be habitable until restoration services are completed.
At the time of the call, the temperature was minus-12 degrees.
The Clintonville Fire Department cleared the scene at approximately 10:30 a.m.
Clintonville Area Ambulance Service, Marion Fire Department, Clintonville Public School District and the American Red Cross assisted.