Work to begin on State 49
Construction planned from Scandinavia to Iola
A resurfacing project is scheduled to get underway Monday, July 11, for State Highway 49 from Scandinavia to Iola.
The state Department of Transportation will resurface the road from Depot Street in Scandinavia to the south intersection of State Highway 161 in Iola.
Construction is scheduled to begin July 11, according to the DOT.
This highway is showing signs of distress. To extend the life of the pavement, the project will:
• Remove a portion of the existing asphalt pavement and place new asphalt.
• Widen the existing 11-foot travel lanes and variable width shoulder to 12-foot lanes with centerline rumble strips and 3-foot paved shoulders from North Main Street in Scandinavia to County Trunk B East.
• Replace pedestrian curb ramps that don’t meet Americans With Disabilities Act standards.
• Replace the sidewalk and curb ramps from Division to Ellefson streets in Iola.
• Replace the guard rail near Depot Street in Scandinavia.
State 49 will remain open to traffic, but motorists can expect periodic lane closures controlled by flagging, lane width restrictions and speed limit reductions.
Construction is scheduled for completion in early September, weather permitting.
The total cost is estimated at $1.25 million. Northeast Asphalt of Greenville is the prime contractor.