Winter Whirl in Clintonville
The Clintonville Park and Recreation Department is once again coordinating the local Winter Whirl Festival event scheduled for the weekend of Jan. 28-30, 2011. Below is a list of events:
Friday, Jan. 28
1. Used Book Sale, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Extended hours Thursday, Jan. 27, 6-8 p.m.); Clintonville Public Library, 75 Hemlock Street; Sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
2. Bowling and Pizza Party, 6-8 p.m., Clintonville Lanes, 250 County Trunk I; For $25 a group of four receives two hours of bowling, a homemade pizza and a pitcher of soda. $5 for an extra bowler. Sign up and pay at City Hall. An 8-10 p.m. session may be available if there is demand.
3. Art Print Raffle; Tickets $1 each; available Friday night at Clintonville Lanes, Saturday at Community Center and Recreation Center and Sunday at Community Center; drawing 11 a.m. Sunday at Community Center. Prints: Terry Redlin’s “And Crown Thy Good With Brotherhood” and Susan Bourdet’s “Sunflower Buffet-Cardinal and Squirrel.” Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus and the Park and Recreation Department. Redlin print donated by Barb Yaeger.
Saturday, Jan. 29
1. “Dollar Day” at CHS Rec Center; Enjoy all the facilities at the CHS Rec Center, 230 N. Harriet for just $1 per person-regular and therapy swimming pool, fitness center and community gymnasium. Open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. 5 and under are free. Regular age policies still apply for facility use. Sponsored by the Clintonville High School Recreation Center.
2. Snowmobile Drags; Registration 8-10:30 a.m.; racing starts at 11 a.m., Clintonville Pond across from Mathew’s Supper Club. Classes: Studded, Non-studded, Vintage and Modified. $10 per class; Food and refreshments will be available on site. Call Charlie at 823-6933 with questions. Sponsored by the Restless Riders Horse Club
3. Fire on Ice Fishing Derby; Starts at 9 a.m. on the Pigeon Pond adjacent to Pickerel Point. Food and Refreshments available; raffle for an underwater camera, plus other raffles throughout the day. First, second and third place prizes for age 12 and under panfish. First and second cash prize age 12 and older panfish and northern. Sponsored by the Clintonville Fireman’s Association.
4. Pre-School Fun Day; Methodist Church, 50 N. Clinton St., 9-11 a.m. For children ages 2-5. Fee of $7. Crafts, music, science and food activities, games, etc. Pre-registration requested, but walk-ins welcome, call 823-6328. Sponsored by Clintonville Play and Learn Pre-School.
5. Used Book Sale; 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Clintonville Public Library, 75 Hemlock Street. Sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
6. Tummy Warmer Chili and Chicken Soup Cookoff; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Clintonville Rec Center, 55 E. 12th St. Competition in hot chili, mild chili and chicken soup. Contact Park and Rec. Dept., 55 E. 12th St., 823-7660 for more information or to enter. Judges also needed. Sponsored by the Clintonville Park and Recreation Department.
7. Clintonville Police Department Canine Unit Booth; Clintonville Recreation Center, 55 E. 12th St, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Come learn about the department’s newest program; an officer will be present to provide information and answer your questions. Donations will be accepted.
8. Made on the Spot Super Ice Cream Sundaes; For a small fee – various toppings available. 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Clintonville Rec Center, 55 E. 12th St. Sponsored by the Woodland Badgers 4 H Club.
9. Rec Center Dessert and Beverage Stand; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Clintonville Recreation Center, during the various events scheduled there; homemade treats, coffee, milk, soda and more. Sponsored by the Tres Rios 4H Club.
10. Hot Barbecue Lunch; Hot turkey and hot beef sandwiches, soda and water. Take home
available. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., outside, weather permitting, otherwise inside, at the Clintonville Community Center, 30 S. Main. Sponsored by the Clintonville Girls Softball Program.
11. Homemade pizza by the slice; St. Rose/St. Mary School will be selling homemade pizza by the slice at the Community Center.
12. Craft/Vendor Faire; Clintonville Community Center, 30 S. Main, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Clintonville Recreation Center, 55 E. 12th, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. or later.
Crafts and other vendors
Contact: Jessie King at Community Center, 823-7667, Dick Writt at Recreation Center, 823-7660, to reserve table space at $10/table, $5 for 2nd table, etc. Sponsored by the Clintonville Senior Center and Park and Recreation Department
13. Pie and Ice Cream Social; Clintonville Community Center, 30 S. Main, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Enjoy a piece of home made pie, ice cream and coffee/milk for $2. Sponsored by the Clintonville Senior Center.
14. Dave Bartels Chain Saw Carving; Clintonville Shopping Center parking lot on Main Street, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Watch a professional chain saw carver at work and check out his handiwork for sale.
15. Inflatable Fun for Kids; For kids 3-12, 2 to 5 p.m., Clintonville Recreation Center, 55 E. 12th St. Bounce to your heart’s content in the bouncer unit, then challenge the climbing wall; finish up with the big slide and then start all over again. No charge, but a free will offering requested. Sponsored by the Clintonville Park and Recreation Department.
16. Chamber of Commerce Brew-Ha beer tasting event; 6-9 p.m., Clintonville Lanes and Banquet Hall
30+ specialty beers! Food! Door prizes! Commemorative Mug! Music! Tickets: $25 in advance; $30 at the door; non-alcoholic fee $10. Tickets available at B&H Fashionwear, B&H Footwear, Clintonville Lanes, Chamber of Commerce office. Sponsored by the Clintonville Area Chamber of Commerce.
17. Free Open Rec at Clintonville Rec Center; All ages welcome-adult supervision. Enjoy the facilities at the Clintonville Recreation Center, 55 E. 12th St., at no cost, 7-10 p.m., including the gymnasium, ping pong, foosball, air hockey, pool tables, lounge with cable service color TV. Free pool, soda and popcorn.
Sponsored by the Park and Recreation Department.
18. Art Print Raffle; Tickets $1 each; available Saturday at Community Center and Recreation Center and Sunday at Community Center; drawing 11 am Sunday at Community Center. Terry Redlin’s “And Crown Thy Good With Brotherhood” and Susan Bourdet’s “Sunflower Buffet – Cardinal and Squirrel.” Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus and the Park and Recreation Department. Redlin print donated by Barb Yaeger.
19. Food Drive; Christus Church Mother’s Group will be conducting a food drive at the Clintonville Recreation Center during the time the other activities scheduled there are taking place, approximately 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 30
1. All You Can Eat Pancake, Porkie and Scrambled Egg Breakfast; 7:30-11 a.m., Clintonville Community Center, 30 S. Main St. $5 for ages 13 and older, $4 for ages 5-12, 4 and under no charge. Sponsored by Msgr. Loerke Council No. 1922 Knights of Columbus.
2. Art Print Raffle; Tickets $1 each; available at Community Center during pancake/porkie/scrambld egg breakfast; drawing 11 a.m. Sunday at Community Center. Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus and the Park and Recreation Department. Prints by Terry Redlin and Susan Bourdet. Redlin print donated by Barb Yaeger.
3. Children’s Carnival; St. Rose/St. Mary School, 140 Auto Street, 1-3 p.m. Games: duck pond, fishing fun, bean bag toss, ring toss, face-painting, cupcake walk and more. Refreshments will also be sold. Free Popcorn to each child! Sponsored by St. Rose/St. Mary School.
4. Ice Skating Races; 2 p.m., W.A. Olen Park skating rink. Competition for all ages; no cost to enter; ribbons for all participants; sign up at site. Hot chocolate and cookies for all participants and spectators.
No charge for open skating 1-2 p.m. and after races until 4 p.m., with warming house open and supervisor on duty. Sponsored by the Clintonville Park and Recreation Department.